Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

What the Actress Said to the Bishop?!

I have some new friends! This is breaking news in my Bahraini world!

They aren't just any friends, they are cool, smart, funny, beautiful British friends. 

I met Helen several weeks back at a 'Breastfeeding in Bahrian' get together (just days before she delivered sweet baby George) and we've since had lunch a couple of times. I am completely fascinated by any and all accents - and her British accent is AWESOME!

Yesterday I went out to lunch with Helen, Jessica (another kick ass Navy wife and new mom from the same Breastfeeding in Bahrain group - I think we're going to be good friends because she's pretty cool), and Helen's friend Kathy...another awesome British chick. 

Lunch was wonderful - it was one of those lunches that pretty much moves right into dinner time. It felt so good to just have some girl time...even though C and D were there. Caden was occupied with Kathy's iPad, and Davis was fussy. And...that sounds about par these days.

Well, during the course of our lunch we got to talking about my blog. Jessica was commenting on how much she LOVED the title since "That's What She Said" is one of her all time favorite sayings. 

AND GASP!!!!

Our British friends had NEVER heard of "That's What She Said!" 

Seriously. Shut. The. Front Door.
They have been missing out all their lives! I say this like I didn't just  learn it a few years ago; but still I can't imagine a life without it now (haha...that's what she said)

Once we explained what it meant they said, 

"Oh...it's just like, 'What the Actress Said'"
  
I looked at them like they were nuts and said, "Ummm...what?!"

They nonchalantly replied, "Yeah, we would say...

"What the Actress Said to the Bishop"

Ummm....Okaaay????

I still don't really get it...but apparently this is the British form of "That's What She Said." I'm not sold on it - I think us Americans have got them on this one. Ours is only 4 words - theirs is 7. It takes so much longer to say; and in the spirit of being lazy Americans...4 words is much better.

Even better than that discovery...

I invited them to the 4th of July BBQ that we are throwing. 

I said, "You are more than welcome to come though I know it's not really probably a Holiday you celebrate."

Their first reply, "We celebrate any holiday where there is drinking!" (my kind of friends)

Then they said, "Isn't that the day that we allowed  you to have your independence? When we decided to give it to you?"

Yep...that's the one! The day that we were "allowed" independence. I laughed for a long time about this!

So our 4th of July party is going to be a celebration of OUR Independence, and for them...a celebration of something they allowed...and a chance to indulge in good food and drinks. 

I have to say honestly though. I really miss the 4th of July festivities back home. In my opinion there isn't anything in the world better than 4th of July in Washington on the Hood Canal. Family. Food. Fireworks. It's amazing. (more amazing if the weather cooperates and it isn't still raining!)

I miss seeing the firework stands all over my hometown. Or driving over to the Indian Reservation to get, "the good stuff". Taking all of the boats out on the canal for the Alderbrook Resort's Annual Firework display. Spending the day at Twanoh State Park with the boats in the water, and lots and lots of food on the beach. Then going to my parents' house to light our own fireworks on their driveway. So much fun. 

It's times like these that really make me miss my family. 

I KNOW that right now they are probably planning out the festivities (though let's be honest, it's pretty much the same every year) - or they are working in the Pee-Wee Football's firework stand, planning the food, buying fireworks...and just being together.

Yep - I miss that a lot. 

Here are some throwback pictures from our 2009 4th of July on the Canal that I found. 

 On our cousin Jen and Ronnie's boat headed to the Alderbrook Fireworks. 
(in case you can't tell just by the pictures....my hometown is better than yours!)


Caden and CRAZY RED (aka Natalie) waiting for the fireworks. 
C was such a baby here, 15 months old. He's growing up way too fast. 


Clearly, I was interrupting his enjoyment to try and get a picture! Haha!


Picnic at Twanoh with Grandma Betty.  


One of my favorite Caden pictures of all time! Taken on the 4th! He's running away from that ice cold water in the background. 

Lighting fireworks on the top of my parents' driveway.  


Best of all....cousins, cousins, cousins....
That's all of them. Though now we can add Nolan, Cash and Davis


Me and my sweet sweet Caden (and my awesome sister-in-law Krista in the background). 

This was back in the day when it was just the two of us. Those were hard times, but man were they special. I LOVE our life right now - but I have to admit sometimes I really miss the time we had when it was just me and my baby boy, Caden. 

Okay...trip down memory lane has to end - or else I will end up crying and missing my family even more than I already do. 

SO...to ensure that we have a WONDERFUL 4th of July, we have decided to have a housewarming party slash 4th of July party! Are we insane...YES...are we excited...YES! Good food...lots of good drinks...swimming in the canal (though this time it's the bathwater warm Canal of Floating City...not the freezing cold Hood Canal). If only we could get fireworks out here, then it would be complete!

Now the real problem is finding all of the ingredients I need to make traditional 4th of July food. You would think it would be easy. It's NOT. I wonder if I'll even be able to find marshmallows or graham crackers. (Maybe s'mores aren't traditional 4th of July food - but it's American summertime food...so darn it, we are having them!)

So far on the list is:
Hamburgers
Hot Dogs
Potato Salad
Broccoli Salad
S'mores
BBQ Chips
Fruit
Baked Beans
Andrew's Sweat Tea Vodka Lemonade
I am thinking about adding in some sort of Strawberry Shortcake
and of course...the infamous Brownie Covered Oreos
(if you haven't had these. do yourself a favor. MAKE THEM!!! Click HERE for the recipe) You'll thank me later. 

Can you think of anything else I'm missing?!  What's your favorite 4th of July tradition that we can do out here?!

\We are determined to make this 4th an unforgettable one. I'm sure it will be. Nothing like celebrating how awesome America is in the Middle East!!! Woop Woop!

and That's 'Watts' She Said...

OR...

what the actress said to the bishop...

NOPE. That's not gonna work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...